Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Good Reads :: No Assembly Required.


I’ve been reading The Avengers for a long time now. I was there for the Kree-Skrull War, and the "War" with the Defenders. 


I was there when they fought the Serpent Crown and the Squadron Supreme, barely survived the Korvac saga, government dictated line-ups, and outlasted innumerable extinction-level schemes from Ultron.


I’ve encountered celestial beings, mad Titans, and even saw an android marry my favorite mutant. I’m well versed in several encounters with the Masters of Evil, especially the time they took over the Mansion and nearly destroyed the team. (No. Seriously. I thought the bad guys had ‘em that time.)


I was there for Onslaught, Rebirth, and Reborn. I remember when Kang actually conquered the world, and then watched as the team rallied and took it back from that tin-pot tyrant from the future one issue at a time.


I’ve seen them disassembled, reassembled, fragmented, and franchised. (Great Lakes Avengers represent!) Watched as they went through a Civil War, a Secret Invasion, a holy war with the Phoenix-possessed X-Men, and cheered when they rallied the Universe and stopped the cosmic Builders cold on the Galactic Frontier. Not to mention seeing them through not one, or two, but three Secret Wars.


I’ve seen them get bigger, smaller, younger, older, and even darker, and seen characters and line-ups, writers and artists, both good and bad, come and go. But I don’t think I’ve ever read anything quite like the first trade of Jason Aaron’s current run on Earth’s Mightiest Heroes.


If you’re a fan of the franchise, this belongs in the conversation as one of the greatest Avengers stories ever told. My mind be boggled. And I cannot wait to see what happens next. Go. Read this. NOW! 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Will read asap. But, you left out my all-time favorite Avengers moment (though you did touch on it). This would be in the Masters of Evil arc when The Wasp (our beloved Jan) took down the Absorbing Man by herself----in a hospital room to boot.

W.B. Kelso said...

Technically, I didn't, as the battle between the Wasp and the Absorbing Man and Titania was part of the whole arc when the Masters of Evil took over the mansion, waylaid the team, and damned near destroyed everything. Janet is the shit, though. Best team leader -- maybe even the best Avenger, the team has ever had.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...