Saturday, July 13, 2013

Recommendations :: On the Big Screen :: Guillermo del Toro's Pacific Rim (2013)



Raised and nurtured on the likes of Gigantor, Johnny Sokko, Robotech, and Godzilla movies, this film had me hooked at the mere idea of giant robots vs. giant monsters. And I think the best compliment I can pay Pacific Rim is that the film was almost as good as the movie I had pictured in my head going into the theater. Loosely translated: that was f*cking awesome covered in awesome sauce. Sure, the Top Gun subplots we all saw coming a mile away are repeated chapter and verse but they served the film rather well, and I found myself smiling right at 'em as I ticked each one off the scorecard. And, oh, the carnage.

  
My only real complaint about Pacific Rim is that there were too many moments and payoffs I really wished the trailers hadn't spoiled. *kaff*kaff* oil tanker club *kaff*kaff* Alas, the doomsayers are already out, banging a funeral dirge, as the film struggles to find its legs at the box office. How a film this good, crafted with so much love and affection and respect for the genres that inspired it, concerning this kinda carnage and mayhem can flounder this badly while The Transformers franchise rakes in billions is more of an indictment on audiences and not on the film or filmmakers as far as I'm concerned.  


I have no doubt that Pacific Rim will find an audience on home video, but you owe it to yourself to see it on the big screen to truly appreciate the skills on display from an F/X and editing stand-point. It truly is amazing. It's PG-13 rating is due to the cartoony violence alone if that's scaring any parents away. Beyond that? Big. Loud. Rather Gooey. And a ton of fun. Highly, highly recommended.

2 comments:

Dan O. said...

Can't say I expected too much from this movie and thankfully, that's why I came out happier than usual. Nice review W.B.

W.B. Kelso said...

There were a few times, yes, when my logic centers were saying "Yeah, but..." but this was quickly drowned out by every other part of my brain screaming "Hit 'em again!" at the top of their little neuronic lungs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...