Saturday, October 22, 2011

Meme Leech :: Quiz or Die :: I'm Pickin' Up Good Phibeations!

STUDENTS!
Just look at what we've got cooking up for you!

From the always deviously diabolical proprietor of Sergio Leone and the Infield Fly Rule, I present my answers to Dr. Anton Phibes' Abominably Erudite, Musically Malignant, Cursedly Clever Halloween Horror Movie Quiz. Enjoy!


1) Favorite Vincent Price/American International Pictures release.

Release? P'rolly this:


Produced and released? Definitely this:


2) What horror classic (or non-classic) that has not yet been remade would you like to see upgraded for modern audiences?

I've touched on this before, but I would love to see a remake of THEM! written by John Sayles, directed by Joe Dante and produced by Jon Davidson, with F/X by Stan Winston's company.

3) Jonathan Frid or Thayer David?

David Selby.

4) Name the one horror movie you need to see that has so far eluded you.

I've seen all the sequels, but I have yet to see The Omen.

5) Favorite film director most closely associated with the horror genre.


6) Ingrid Pitt or Barbara Steele?

Nope. Not even gonna.

7) Favorite 50’s sci-fi/horror creature.



8) Favorite/best sequel to an established horror classic.



9) Name a sequel in a horror series which clearly signaled that the once-vital franchise had run out of gas.


10) John Carradine or Lon Chaney Jr.?

Again, not even gonna. Nope. Nosiree.

11) What was the last horror movie you saw in a theater? On DVD or Blu-ray?

Theater: Believe it or not an honest to goodness dusk til dawn Drive In quadrople-feature of The Abominable Dr. Phibes, Dr. Phibes Rises Again, Count Yorga and I, Monster. How appropriate, am I right? Thank YOU, Drive In Super Monster Rama!
On DVD:
Time Walker

12) Best foreign-language fiend/monster.


13) Favorite Mario Bava movie.


14) Favorite horror actor and actress.

Actor: Peter Cushing
Actress: Beverly Garland

15) Name a great horror director’s least effective movie.

Wes Craven's The Hills Have Eyes II. Even before the dog has a flashback to pad-out this sequel with footage from the first, this stolid cash-in had already long worn out it's welcome in my VCR. But speaking truthfully, My Soul to Take was pretty damned awful, too.


16) Grayson Hall or Joan Bennett?

Bennett.

17) When did you realize that you were a fan of the horror genre? And if you’re not, when did you realize you weren’t?

I was aware or monsters before, but I was exposed to special on horror classics on PBS (fairly positive it was hosted and narrated by Vincent Price) around the age of 4, was scared shitless by the same, and have been hooked ever since.

18) Favorite Bert I. Gordon (B.I.G.) movie.


Yes, dammit, Tormented. Deal with it.

19) Name an obscure horror favorite that you wish more people knew about.

In this day and age I don't think anything can be considered "obscure" anymore. I mean, even Hajime Sato's Goke, Body Snatcher from Hell is available on Hulu. Still, every little bit helps. And I've been trumpeting the hell out of this lately:


20) The Human Centipede-- yes or no?

Nah. There are much better (-- see question above) and worse things to look at than that. (See the next question and answer.)

21) And while we’re in the neighborhood, is there a horror film you can think of that you felt “went too far”?

I know Ruggero Deodato gets a lot of grief about the animal snuff in his cannibal atrocity movies, and rightfully so, but René Cardona Jr. is an even worse culprit, considering how many sharks he has killed onscreen for no damned good reason, at all, in, what, damned near all of his films that barely even get a whiff of the ocean? Don't believe me? Try sitting through Tintorera sometime and then report back to me. Even beyond the shark snuff, all of his films are just too nihilistic, even for me.

22) Name a film that is technically outside the horror genre that you might still feel comfortable describing as a horror film.


23) Lara Parker or Kathryn Leigh Scott?


Eh, I was always partial to Alexandra (Moltke) Isles, myself.

24) If you’re a horror fan, at some point in your past your dad, grandmother, teacher or some other disgusted figure of authority probably wagged her/his finger at you and said, “Why do you insist on reading/watching all this morbid monster/horror junk?” How did you reply? And if that reply fell short somehow, how would you have liked to have replied?

About the closest I ever came to this classic scenario was getting caught reading one of Danny Peary's Cult Movie books in study hall by the Nurse Ratchet of study hall monitors. She thought she had me dead to rights until she flipped open the book and it landed on the entry for Rebel Without a Cause. Luckily for me, the book didn't flip open to the entry on Behind the Green Door. *whew*

25) Name the critic or Web site you most enjoy reading on the subject of the horror genre.

As far as I'm concerned, you can't beat the in depth insight of El Santo's 1000 Misspent Hours and Counting.

26) Most frightening image you’ve ever taken away from a horror movie.


I go into why in more detail here, but the discovery of what happened to Dr. Stoner's first lab assistant in Bernard Kowalski's Sssssss, an under-appreciated throwback to 1950's mad science gone amok, and all the implications that entails, is, hands down, the most disturbing thing I've ever seen on film.

27) Your favorite memory associated with watching a horror movie.

Finally, finally, being old enough to stay up with my elder siblings to watch the late, late movie, instead of being sent to bed, allowing me see Killdozer for the first time. Haven't been the same since.

28) What would you say is the most important/significant horror movie of the past 20 years (1992-2012)? Why?

Probably Danny Boyle's 28 Days Later. It helped cement the insurgent zombie movement and helped break the genre out of the permanent slasher rehash malaise it had been stuck in since about 1985 and re-introduced the old fashioned monster movie concept as a viable commodity.

29) Favorite Dr. Phibes curse (from either film).

From the first film:


Dr. Whitcombe getting impaled by the brass unicorn.


And the second film:


Poor Baker getting squished.
Postively gruesome. Even for the good Dr. Phibes.

30) You are programming an all-night Halloween horror-thon for your favorite old movie palace. What five movies make up your schedule?






And that's that. Until next time, boils and ghouls.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

For what it's worth I love Tormented, too, one of the most fun films I watched in my pre-wedding movie marathon.

Cool meme. I'm tempted to steal it myself!

W.B. Kelso said...

Thanks, Tim.

I don't know why, but Tormented really got under my skin (in a good, slow creep kindofway) -- even when I first saw it on Mystery Science Theater.

These SLIFR quizzes are great, and hard. Half the time I refuse to answer the this or that questions or, like usual, I cheat and pull an answer out of left field.

le0pard13 said...

Some fantastic quiz answers (and I'm not saying that because we share a couple of answers ;-). Great pick for THEM! (I still love that film). I've added BLACK WATER to my Instant Netflix Queue based on your recommendation. I remember the scene from Sssssss you note, and ***shudder***. I'd attend your programmed horror-thon. Thanks.

W.B. Kelso said...

The cool things is, I know a guy, who knows a guy, and all I'd need to do is come up with the scratch to rent the local, renovated theater for the allotted time and just bring the DVDs and this marathon could happen.

And the best thing I can say about Black Water is that I caught myself pulling my feet off the floor in a subconscious effort to find higher ground not once, not twice but three times while watching. Haven't been that scared of the water since the little Kelso saw JAWS.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...