Thursday, April 21, 2016

YouTube Finds :: Detonating a Nostalgia Bomb! All the Twisted, Mixed Up Hits of HRB's Goofy Gold (1978)


Video courtesy of DragonflyEnt.

I remember being mesmerized by this promo when it broke in 1978 on the old family Zenith, which soon led me and my mother (being led by me) to the Gibsons, where yours truly, plopped down $9.98 of my own money and purchased my very first album, Goofy Gold, an 8-track, and I wore that thing out. Wore. It. Out.


Complete track listing:

Monster Mash – Bobby Pickett
Purple People Eater – Sheb Wooley
Wooly Bully – Sam the Sham and the Pharoahs
Running Bear – Johnny Preston
Beep Beep – The Playmates



Battle of New Orleans – Johnny Horton
Charlie Brown – The Coasters
Pepino the Italian Mouse – Lou Monte
Big Bad John – Jimmy Dean
Yakety Yak – The Coasters



Alley Oop – Hollywood Argyles
Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavor – Lonnie Donegan
Transfusion – Nervous Norvus
Mr. Custer – Larry Verne
Western Movies – The Olympics



Chantilly Lace – The Big Bopper
King Kong (Your Song) – Pickett and Ferrara
Hello Muddah! Hello Fadduh! – Allan Sherman
Ahab, The Arab – Ray Stevens
Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport – Rolf Harris



Goofy? You bet. But bad? Oh, HELL no. A novelty record put out by HRB Music, I hadn't thought about the album in years, which is sad, because it was kinda the soundtrack of my childhood for a spell -- and King Kong Your Song was my anthem. (I wish I had purchased the double album because the odds of its survival would have been more viable.) But after stumbling upon this vid in a YouTube hole, a nostalgia bomb detonated inside my brain and I've been feverishly trying to put it all back together ever since. And I'm happy to report that I did remember all the words to Lonnie Donegan'd ditty on bubblegum and bedposts, "My red corpuscles are in mass confusion" could quite possibly be the greatest song lyrics of ever, and I finally, FINALLY, deciphered the refrain from Western Movies, Wham! Bam! Shoot 'em up, Pow! Huzzah!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...